06 June 2004

France

Well, Mrs. F and I have been planning for our retirement for a few years now and I think we're set upon becoming expats when we do. From our conversations over the past few years, we've found that we love Paris more than just about anyplace in the world. We've fallen in love over and over again on the Left Bank of the Siene and an aprtment in the 7th Arrondissment would be just the place to grow old together. This isn't about patriotism, or our love for the U.S., it's about where we will feel the most comfortable in our waning years. (Sounds so final, doesn't it?)

Unlike the uberpatriots in this country, I don't have anything bad to say about the French people, I have yet to have a bad experience during my interactions with them. We love Europe and we feel at home there. Isn't that what retirement is supposed to be all about?

So now we just have to decide if we actually do want an apartment in Paris or a house out in the country. Well, we have 10 or 15 years to figure it out. Hopefully by then, I'll be able to get Mrs. F out of Manhattan.

No comments: